Some of my best posts originate from questions I get from my colleagues. A good example is this question I received yesterday from Leslie in Brussels, who asked: “My client is releasing this great White Paper. How can I leverage this valuable content in a Social Media context?”
So, here goes my answer:
- put it where it can be accessed by the masses
- turn in Powerpoint and put it on Slideshare
- share the PDF on Issuu or Scribd or both
- attach the PDF to the Client blog (if they have one) or media room (if they have one) – if they don’t have them, then maybe you should do some additional selling, here ;-D
- turn it into an educational video (see Lee Lefever’s CommonCraft for inspiration) and stick it on Youtube (there are a number of low-cost options to turn a Powerpoint into a decent movie, see an example here)
- wherever you post it, make sure a permalink is available (i.e. we don’t want to drive people to 404s, right ?)
- once it’s posted, spread the word linking back to it:
- research where people are talking about that topic (forum, newsgroups, blogs)
- develop and post messages on those boards; be considerate, respectful and disclose your affiliation with the Client, e.g. “Hi, this is Gianni; this discussion is really interesting. My client XYZ recently released a White Paper you might find valuable <link>”
- DO NOT SPAM !!!! Very important! Always read before you post.
- if you have a good number of followers, Tweet about it
No rocket science, but it works!